2016-2017 Project Teams/Committees
Executive Board Search Committee
Chair: Lana Snodgras (South Central) email@example.com 471-256-6155
Board Liaison: Julie Thannum, APR, NSPRA President firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Liaison: Karen Kleinz, APR email@example.com 301-519-1227
- To recruit and recommend a slate of one or more candidates for each NSPRA Executive Board office that will become vacant the following year. (President-elect, North Central VP, South Central VP and VP of Diversity Engagement)
- Present slate to the membership at the July 9, 2017 Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Texas.
Deadline: Slate of candidates submitted to NSPRA office no later than May 1, 2017.
- Jack Sheard (North Central) firstname.lastname@example.org 308-385-5900
- Lana Snodgras (South Central) email@example.com 417-256-6155
- Julianne Repman (Northwest) firstname.lastname@example.org 541-355-1010
- Daniel Thigpen (Southwest) email@example.com 916-294-9000 ext 104550
- Laura Bishop (Northeast) firstname.lastname@example.org 609-405-0129
- Ron Koehler, APR (Mideast) email@example.com 616-365-2292
- Tom Salter (Southeast) firstname.lastname@example.org 334-223-6761
- Valita Quattlebaum, APR (Diversity) email@example.com 910-254-4221
To review outside auditor's report and make a report to the Executive Board and the membership.
Report made at November 2016 Executive Board Meeting and to the membership at the July 9, 2017 Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Texas.
- Linda Erdos firstname.lastname@example.org 703-228-6002
- Gary Marx, APR email@example.com 703-938-8725
- Mychael Dickerson firstname.lastname@example.org 410-887-2010
Staff Liaison: Tommy Jones email@example.com 301-519-1222
Will be activated for 2016-17 if there is a contested election.
Chair: Kevin Christian, APR firstname.lastname@example.org 352-671-7555
UAB Rep: Barb Nicol, APR barb@barbnicolPR.com 612-920-2279
Board Liaison: Chris Tennill, APR email@example.com 314-854-6015
Staff Liaison: Karen Kleinz, APR, firstname.lastname@example.org 301-519-1227
- Develop an accreditation liaison/chair for as many chapters as possible and appropriate.
- Identify and encourage potential APR candidates.
- Support and use the UAB's new "it Takes a PRo" marketing campaign plan to promote Accreditation to members.
- Write two articles for NSPRA publications - one on the value of accreditation and a second on what superintendents need to know about the value of the APR process and accreditation.
- Serve as a resource to NSPRA chapters and provide advice and assistance in offering accreditation preparation opportunities for members.
- Assist in coordinating and presenting the APR Prep pre-seminar workshop as needed.
Pertaining to Readiness Review Panels:
- Monitor candidates' progress through the process and report to NSPRA on each step.
- Serve as the local/regional coordination arm for NSPRA in scheduling Readiness Review panels for member candidates for accreditation.
- Assist chapters in building capacity to host local/state Readiness Review panels for candidates.
- Develop relationships/assist chapters to develop relationships with PRSA chapters in states/locales that lack capacity for convening a full panel of NSPRA APRs in order to facilitate the involvement of at least one NSPRA APR on a member candidate's panel.
- Provide mentoring and support for Readiness Review candidates as outlined in the testing program.
- Maintain contact throughout the year with chapters running APR study groups to identify members who plan to become APR candidates and request Readiness Review panels at the Seminar.
- Work with NSPRA to coordinate and schedule a set number (to be determined) of Readiness Review panels at the 2017 NSPRA Seminar in San Antonio, Texas.
- Identify and recruit members with APRs to serve as Readiness Review panelists in their state/region and at the Seminar.
- Serve on Readiness Review panels at the Seminar and at the local/regional level when possible.
- Be able to explain the steps involved in becoming accredited to interested candidates.
- Thoroughly understand the Readiness Review Panel process and become familiar with the coaching guide.
- Follow NSPRA's guidelines for the Readiness Review panel process.
Committee chair will provide reports for NSPRA Executive Board Meetings to be held November 2016, March 2017 and July 2017.
Regional Committee Reps:
- Mickey Schoonover (South Central) email@example.com 314-213-8025
- Andy Grunig, APR (Mideast) firstname.lastname@example.org 571-423-1212
- Andrea Watson, APR (Northwest) email@example.com 503-661-7200
- Music Watson, APR (Southwest) firstname.lastname@example.org 858-292-3719
- Nancy Wayman, APR (Northeast) email@example.com 585-267-1031
- Sharon Anglim, APR (Southeast) firstname.lastname@example.org 865-982-7121
- (North Central) TBD
Employee Engagement Project Team
Member Team Leader:
- Janet Swiecichowski, APR email@example.com 952-401-5095
Board Team Leader:
- Annette Eyman, APR firstname.lastname@example.org 402-537-6209
- Karen Kleinz, APR, associate director email@example.com 301-519-1227
Project Goal: To address the issue of education employee morale in an era of ongoing budget cuts, increased accountability and mandates, increased expectations to do more with less (in resources, personnel and funding), decreasing support and politically orchestrated anti-public education efforts.
- Develop an e-resource toolkit for raising employee morale (along the lines of NSPRA’s 1984 “Lighting the Fire” kit).
- Team members will identify and research relevant topics to include, such as:
- Addressing burnout and stress
- Incentives and recognition
- Building trust and ownership
- Inspiring passion and excitement
- Developing leaders
- Generating renewal and hope for the future
- Other topics identified
- Develop a variety of resources for the kit, such as:
- Workshops of different lengths (i.e., one hour to half-day) for administrators and staff
- Presentations for administrators on the need to address staff morale
- Tip sheets for administrators and staff
- Best practice ideas, examples and guidelines or resources
- Strategies for engaging staff in self-renewal
- Short staff surveys to gage the level of morale and specific needs
- A series of short articles for PRincipal Communicator on tips for building staff morale at
the building level
- Other identified resources
Timeline: Complete the e-toolkit in Fall 2016.
Updates: Progress reports due in November 2016, March 2017 and July 2017.
Team Member Commitment: The goal, tasks and deliverables for this project are primarily the responsibility of team members. NSPRA staff is available to provide information as needed, but it will be the team members, through their actions and accomplishments, who will determine whether the goals and deliverables are attained
Project Team Members:
- Theresa Schaefer (NY) firstname.lastname@example.org 516-396-2491
- Amber Graham Fitzgerald (OK) email@example.com 580-366-7000
- Danielle Airey (AZ) firstname.lastname@example.org 623-486-6040
- Stephanie Smith, APR (MO) email@example.com 816-650-7019
- Rachel Hicks (MN) firstname.lastname@example.org 612-402-4289
- Terry Locke (AZ) email@example.com 480-812-7650
Communication Equity and Diversity Task Force
Board Team Leader: Stephen Nichols, APR firstname.lastname@example.org 916-709-7210
Member Team Leader: Joseph Ortiz email@example.com 623-478-4002
Staff Liaison: Karen Kleinz, APR firstname.lastname@example.org 301-519-1227
Task Force Goals: To continue to build resources on diversity communication to expand, add to and support the work that has been done to date by the Diversity Engagement Project Team.
- Recruit additional task force members representing diverse member stakeholder groups.
- Write three or more articles in 2016-17 for eNetwork on diversity and communication equity topics.
- Write three or more related articles for PRincipal Communicator in 2016-17.
- Compile best practice examples, relevant publications/articles, and other materials to enhance and add to the Diversity Communication Toolkit.
- Host a Caffeinated Connections table at the San Antonio Seminar to gather member feedback on the work needed.
- Assist in identifying relevant topics and presenters for a Diversity & Equity Communication track at the 2017 San Antonio Seminar.
- Determine feasibility and seek funding /sponsorship for a daylong Summit on Equity Communication and Engagement in Education to be held in conjunction with the 2017 San Antonio Seminar.
Task Force Members:
- Mychael Dickerson (MD) email@example.com 410-887-2010
- Trent Allen, APR (CA) firstname.lastname@example.org 916-971-8281
- Heidi Vega (AZ) email@example.com 602-254-1100
- Brian Graves (IL) firstname.lastname@example.org 763-232-3622
- Lesley Bruinton, APR (AL) email@example.com 205-759-3549
- Ben Horsley (UT) firstname.lastname@example.org 385-646-4529
- Carol Fenstermacher, APR (OR) 503-762-3602 email@example.com
- Brian Woodland, APR (ON) firstname.lastname@example.org 905-890-1010
School Communication Benchmarking Project Team
Project Goals: To identify best-in-class practices and performance measures for the areas of critical function area of crisis communication and management to add to the Rubrics of Practice and Suggested Measures.
Scope of Project: Gather relevant data and produce rubrics that will provide school communication professionals, superintendents, and school board members with the guidelines and resources they need to develop effective crisis communication and management plans.
- Identify essential program components for the critical function area.
- Identify evaluative measures for the critical program components.
- Determine best-in-class performance.
- Identify benchmark practices in each of the critical program components based on best-in-class performance.
- Develop "how to" for members on using benchmark practices and measures to improve their own performance.
Deadline: Complete content for fifth critical function area - Crisis Communication & Management - by January 2017 for inclusion in the next edition of the Rubrics of Practice and Suggested Measures and presentation at the 2017 San Antonio Seminar.
Reporting: Team will provide reports for NSPRA Executive Board Meetings to be held November 2016, March 2017 and July 2017.
Project Team Members:
- Kelly Avants, APR (CA) email@example.com 559-327-9092
- Carol Fenstermacher, APR (OR) firstname.lastname@example.org 503-760-7990
- Dan Thigpen, (CA) email@example.com 916-294-9000
- Michelle Mueller (MO) firstname.lastname@example.org 636-253-6280
- Music Watson, APR (CA) email@example.com 858-292-3719